Lots of people get nervous when asked to give wedding speeches, so don’t feel out of place if you do. Standing in front of an audience and speaking is never easy, but we do it still. Well, something that could improve your toast or even make it easier is wedding toast quotes.
The right quote can not only take away all the pressure, it could make your toast more tasteful. If you are not sure where to start with good quotes for a wedding toast, allow this list of sample quotes to help you along.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do you say at a wedding toast?
Whether you’re giving sentimental or funny wedding toast quotes, one thing is constant. Your toast should not be generic, you should try as much as possible to make it unique. Your relationship with the couple is special and your toast should be too.
The following steps give you an outline that can help when writing your toast.
- Congratulate the couple: The best and only way to start good wedding toast quotes is by congratulating the newlyweds.
- Introduce yourself and your relationship with the couple/ bride/ groom: This is essential just in case since most people might know who you are, but not all.
- Tell a story by using examples: This is where things get interesting. A good story or quote for a wedding toast can help pass your message across to the couple and wedding guests more than anything else.
- Advice the couple: You can follow with some advice to the couple if you have any.
- Raise your glass for the toast: Finish with your toast.
Traditional Wedding Toast Quotes
Whether you’re giving best man or maid of honor wedding toast quotes at a traditional wedding, it’s a good idea to stick with conventional wedding toast quotes and not color outside the lines. Below are a few examples.
- “Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupery.
- “Where there is love there is life.” – Mahatma Gandhi.
- “There is only one happiness in life; To love and be loved.” – George Sand.
- “The secret of a happy marriage is finding the right person. You know they’re right if you love to be with them all the time.” – Julia Child.
- “The best use of life is love. The best expression of love is time. The best time to love is now.” – Rick Warren.
- “A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short.” – Andre Maurois.
- “Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead.” – Oscar Wilde.
- “You don’t marry the person you can live with—you marry the person you can’t live without.” – Unknown.
- “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” – Audrey Hepburn.
- “May this marriage be full of laughter, our every day in paradise.” – Rumi.
Funny Wedding Toast Quotes
Tasteful humor is always good. So, for some comic relief, you could consider using any number of funny wedding toast quotes to toast the marriage. Such as the ones below.
- “Marriages are made in heaven. But so again, are thunder and lightning.” – Clint Eastwood.
- “It’s so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.” – Rita Rudner.
- “Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterward.” – Benjamin Franklin.
- “My husband and I have never considered divorce … murder sometimes, but never divorce.” – Dr. Joyce Brothers.
- “Marry a man your own age; as your beauty fades, so will his eyesight.” – Phyllis Diller.
- “May she share everything with her husband, including the housework.” – Unknown Proverb.
- “By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll be happy. If you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.” – Socrates.
- “Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?” – Groucho Marx.
- “Women marry men hoping they will change. Men marry women hoping they will not. So each is inevitably disappointed.” – Albert Einstein.
- “Getting married is like trading the adoration of many for the sarcasm of one.” – Mae West.
Religious Toast Quotes
To honor a traditional or religious wedding, you could use quotes from a religious book. For instance. bible quotes for a wedding toast of a Christian couple would be most appreciated.
- “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. We love because he first loved us.” 1 John 4:18-19
- “Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot wash it away.” Song of Solomon 8:7
- “Two are better than one.” Ecclesiastes 4:9
- “Through love serve one another.” Galatians 5:13
- “Therefore, a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.” Genesis 2:24
- “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.” Corinthians 13:4-5
- “I found the one whom my soul loves.” Song of Solomon 3:4
- “Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs.” Proverbs 10:12
- “So, they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has joined together, let no one separate.” Matthew 19:6
- “Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.” Romans 12:9
Famous Wedding Toast Quotes
A wedding with a classic or vintage theme could do with some old-school quotes and wedding toasts from movie classics. It would be even cooler and nostalgic when the guests recognize the quotes or try to guess who said them.
- “The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.” – Moulin Rouge.
- “To me, you are perfect.” – Love Actually.
- “It’s like at that moment the whole universe existed just to bring us together.” – Serendipity.
- “May you never steal, lie or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, lie with me all the nights of my life. And if you must cheat, then please cheat death. Because I couldn’t live a day without you.” – Leap Year.
- “True love is the soul’s recognition of its counterpoint in another.” – Wedding Crashers.
- “I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.” The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
- “Choose me. Marry me. Let me make you happy.” – My Best Friend’s Wedding
- “It doesn’t matter if the guy is perfect or the girl is perfect, as long as they are perfect for each other.” – Good Will Hunting.
- “When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” – When Harry Met Sally.
- “To love another person is to see the face of God.” – Les Miserables.
To the Bride or Groom Toast Quotes
It’s a wedding and the main focus will always be on the couple, so they will get the majority of the toast. Finding unique wedding toast quotes that would be the right amount of sentimental or funny can be challenging sometimes. Here are a few that could inspire you.
- “May the light of friendship guide your paths together. May the laughter of children grace the halls of your home. May the joy of living for one another trip a smile from your lips and a twinkle from your eye.”
- “My wish is that your marriage will be a thing of beauty and a joy forever, always as beautiful as you are today, [Bride]. And may the loveliness of your marriage increase with each year. Here’s to the bride and groom.”
- “May there be a generation of children on the children of your children.”
- “May your joys be as deep as the ocean and your troubles as light as its foam.”
- “May your love be modern enough to survive the times and old-fashioned enough to last forever.”
- “May I see you gray And combing your grandchildren’s hair.”
- “Here’s to a sweetheart, a bottle, and a friend. The first beautiful, the second full, the last ever faithful.”
- “Here’s to the groom, a man who kept his head even while he lost his heart.”
- “May all your hopes and dreams come true and may the memory of this day become dearer with each passing year.”
- “May you know nothing but happiness from this day forward.”
To Parents Wedding Toast Quotes
- Sometimes kids or dependents are required to give toasts at their parents’ wedding. And it’s totally normal to be overcome with nerves or not know what to say. Here are a few wedding speech toast quotes you could consider.
- “Let your love endure beyond the last sunset.”
- “May thy life be long and happy, thy cares and sorrows few; and the many friends around thee prove faithful, fond and true. May your voyage through life be as happy and as free as the dancing waves on the deep blue sea.”
- “May your heart be warm and happy with the lilt of loud laughter every day in every way, and forever and ever after.”
- “May you grow old together on one pillow.”
- “May God be with you and bless you.”
- “But rich or poor, quick or slow, may you know nothing but happiness from this day forward.”
- “May your heart be light and happy. May your smile be big and wide. And may your pockets always have a coin or two inside.”
- “May you have love, health, and wealth, but most importantly, may you have the time to enjoy them all.”
- “May you both live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.”
If you are going to sweat it giving a toast, it might as well be a good one. This is where wedding toast quotes come in. The right quotes can turn your wedding toast into perfection, using the perfect words to celebrate your loved ones.