One of the best and most productive times for music was in the 1980s. Think about MTV, Walkman, the Mullet, and best of all, the 80s wedding songs. Every hopeless romantic and fun lover would love to throw some 80s songs into their wedding playlist. We love to see you rocking to the oldies but goldies. So peruse our list of the best 80s love songs for weddings, get on your dancing shoes, a few boxes of tissues, and party away!
Brides Often Ask
What was the number one love song of 1980?
The number one love song from the 80s was Careless Whisper by George Michael. This 1984 hit combines the calming tunes of the saxophone and romantic lyrics, making it one of the most iconic songs of all time.
Top 10 1980s Songs
Day-glo shirts, shinies, big hair, and scrunchies were some eccentricities from the 80s that make us nostalgic. But despite these, the best part of that Era was the songs. We saw stalwarts like Devo, Paul Simon, and Marvin Gaye getting to their peak. Other icons like Madonna, Micheal Jackson, and NWA came on the scene. It was a musical tsunami and the 80s songs were nothing without these trailblazers. For this category, we consider the top ten songs by their cultural relevance, audience reception and enjoyment, lasting impact, attraction, and the element of the song. Following these parameters, see the top 10 songs from the 1980s.
- Beat it by Micheal Jackson
- This must be the place by Talking Heads
- I wanna dance with somebody by Whitney Houston
- Purple Rain by Prince
- Modern Love by David Bowie
- Straight outta Compton by NWA
- Express yourself by Madonna
- Close to Me by The Cure
- The Message by Grandmaster and the Furious Five
- Fight the Power by Public Enemy
Top 80s First Dance Wedding Songs
80s first dance songs scream special moments! When you listen to the lyrics, you’ll understand that they are the best renditions for two lovers. Only a few songs from other eras capture the pure soul of love songs like in the 80s. Perhaps, we could attribute this feat to the quality of love stories from the Era? It makes us feel nostalgic. However, the best part is that Modern couples who are oldies at heart go back in time to incorporate songs from the 80s into their playlist. The first dance is intimate and requires the most romantic songs. So, here’s our list of the best 80s wedding songs for the first dance.
- Endless Love by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie
- Eternal flame by the Bangles
- Take my breath away by Berlin
- Time after time by Cyndi Lauper
- In your eyes by Peter Gabriel
- Crazy for you by Madonna
- Angel eyes by Jeff Healy Band
- You & I by Eddie Rabbit and Crystal Gayle
- Heaven by Bryan Adams
- Lost in your eyes by Debbie Gibson
80s Father Daughter & Mother Son Dance Songs
Couples who have great relationships with their parents would want to share a moment with them on their special day. It may be pre-planned or a surprise but expect a few tears. We feel like the 80s wedding songs for parents and their children are the best so far. The lyrics talked about the journey of parenthood, the joy of seeing their children take giant steps, a promise to always be there, and unconditional love. So for all times, here are wedding songs of the 80s for father-daughter and mother-son dances.
- Wind beneath my wings by Bettie Midler
- Could I have this dance by Anne Murray
- She’s got a way by Billy Joel
- Forever Young by Rod Stewart
- You’re the Inspiration by Chicago
- You look so good in love by George Strait
- Through the years by Kenny Rogers
- Daddy’s Hands by Holly Dunn
- The wonder of you by Elvis Presley
- I’ll always love you by Taylor Dayne
The Best 80s Slow Dance Songs for Couples
The best 80s dance songs for weddings are either slow or upbeat. But right now, we’re going with the slow intimate songs that trap couples in the moment. These are also the perfect 80s wedding songs to walk down the aisle. They are meaningful, heartfelt, and romantic songs that emphasize the love you share with your partner. We have some of the most iconic musicians of all time in this category. Check them out and include these must-have songs on your playlist.
- Forever Young by Alphaville
- Saving all my love for you by Whitney Houston
- Right here waiting by Richard Marx
- Say you, say me by Lionel Richie
- We’ve got tonight by Kenny Rogers and Sheena Easton
- Open Arms by Journey
- I’ll be loving you forever by New Kids On The Block
- One more night by Phil Collins
- Making love out of nothing at all by Air Supply
- Against all odds by Phil Collins
Pop 1980s Wedding Songs
Just like in the 1950s, everybody wanted to dance in in 80s. David Bowie raised the dance cru while Whitney Houston wanted to dance with somebody. The Pop genre was one that always made it to the 80s wedding dance songs list for its energy and tunes. Now we’re in the 2000s and this generation wants to party again. Who are we to say no when blasts from the 80s still make us move our heads? See our list of hit Pop songs for our favorite Era.
- I’ve had the time of my life by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes
- Never gonna give up by Rick Astley
- True Blue by Madonna
- Kiss by Prince
- Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves
- Into the Groove by Madonna
- Take on me by A-ha
- Thriller by Micheal Jackson
- Let’s dance by David Bowie
- Flash dance: what a Feeling by Irene Cara
80s Rock Songs for Your Wedding Day
The 80s was the time of rock and roll, jukeboxes, discos, and guitar-centric music. Also, many of the 80s wedding love songs are based on rock, country, and Pop. 80s rock wedding songs are perfect renditions for the last dance, guest’s dance, and after-party boogie! You and the guests will sail to a place of nostalgia as you belt out lyrics that you know as a youngin. These are songs that keep the moment and mood going, as the rock beats and dance floor kings take over the entertainment. Make your choice of the best wedding rock songs from this list.
- Pour some sugar on me by Def Leppard
- We will rock you by Queen
- Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- Take me home tonight by Eddie Money
- Here I go again by Whitesnake
- Jump by Van Halen
- Crazy train by Ozzy Osbourne
- Smells like teen spirit by Nirvana
- Starlight by Muse
- Ocean Avenue by Yellowcard
We come to the end of our 80s wedding songs list, and it was fun while it lasted. Why settle for a drab music selection at your wedding when you can boogie to wedding songs from the 80s. There’s something for everyone, from rock to pop, slow to first dance music, and more. This list will help you pick songs appropriate for every step of the wedding while assuring you of maximum enjoyment.