Your wedding reception is the chance to celebrate your nuptials with your friends and loved ones. And your wedding reception songs are a big part of the celebration. In the following, we shall give you advice on how to choose the best songs for the wedding reception to keep your guests happy and to get the party started!
How Many Songs Do You Need For a Wedding Reception Playlist (and what songs)
When compiling your list of wedding reception songs, you need to keep in mind the events of the day. Accepting a four-hour wedding party and 15 tunes for every hour, you could have a wedding playlist of up to 60 melodies.
Thus, you will want to choose songs to commemorate the following moments of your reception. These are, of course, in addition to the general list of songs to be played during the reception and any music for dancing. Many couples also include a list of songs to sing at a wedding. This is a great way to engage your guests, not only on the dance floor!
- Bride and Groom entrance song
- Bridal Party entrance song
- Parents of the Bride entrance song
- Parents of the Groom entrance song
- Bride and Groom first dance song
- Mother-Son dance song
- Father-Daughter dance song
- Bridal party dance song
- Cake cutting song
- Cocktail hour songs
- Dinner song playlist
- Dance songs
- Garter Toss Song
- Bridal Bouquet Toss Songs
- Last Dance Song
Here you will want to be sure to include some of the best wedding dance songs to keep the party moving. We will include lists of songs in the following sections for your special benefit.
Play The Traditional Wedding Hits
When choosing your wedding reception music, you need to include some tried and true classic wedding hits. Here is a list of some of the most beautiful classic songs to play at your wedding reception.
Bride And Groom First Dance Reception Song
This is your first dance as a married couple. You should choose a song that is special to both you and your spouse. Following is a list of some of the traditional first dance songs:
- A Thousand Years – Christina Perri
- You Are The Reason – Calum Scott, Leona Lewis
- Deeper – Tamia
- Fallin’ All In You – Shawn Mendes
- Beautiful In White – Shane Filan
- Fly Me to the Moon – Frank Sinatra
- Can I Have This Dance – Anne Murray
- Truly, Madly, Deeply – Savage Garden
Mother Son Reception Dance Songs
Source: romuloueda via Instagram
To celebrate the love between the mother of the groom and the groom himself, you should choose a song that has special meaning. Here is a list of some of the classic mother son dance reception dance songs
- No Matter What – Calum Scott
- Mama’s Hand – Queen Naija
- I Hope You Dance – Leann Womack
- You Are Loved – Josh Groban
- You’ll Be In My Heart – Phil Collins
Father Daughter Dance For Wedding Reception
Source: eivans_inc via Instagram
The bond between a father and daughter is a sacred one. As such, you need to select a song that signifies that bond. Here is a list of some traditional father daughter dance songs.
- My little girl – Tim McGraw
- Daddy Dance With Me – Krystal Keith
- Daddy’s Angel – Anthony Carter
- I Loved Her First – Heartland
- Through the Years – Kenny Rogers
- Butterfly Kisses – Bob Carlisle
If you do not have a mother or father figure, you can ask someone such as a brother, sister, aunt, uncle or other relative to take their place. As well, you can ask a friend to fill in. Of course, if you want to find traditional wedding songs that you like, you can choose from unique first dance songs!
Traditional Wedding Reception Songs
- Can’t Help Falling In Love – Elvis Presley
- Marry You – Bruno Mars
- I Wanna Dance With Somebody – Whitney Houston
- We Are Family – Sister Sledge
- It Had to Be You – Harry Connick Jr
- For Once in My Life – Stevie Wonder
Rock And Indie Songs For Wedding Reception
Source: sergio_mgaray via Instagram
Rock and indie are two of the most popular genres of music today. Following is a list of some of the most played indie and rock wedding reception songs.
Indie Wedding Songs
- I Belong to You – Jacob Lee
- Just You and I – Tom Walker
- Lover’s Lullaby – Sweet Tea Project
- I Will Follow You Into The Dark – Death Cab for Cutie
- Magic – Coldplay
- The Luckiest – Ben Folds
Rock Wedding Songs
- Born To Be Yours – Kygo & Imagine Dragons
- Wild Love – James Bay
- Unlonely – Jason Mraz
- Next To Me – Imagine Dragons
- I Believe in A Thing Called Love – The Darkness
- You Shook Me All Night Long – AC/DC
- All Shook Up – Elvis
Add Some Country Chic To Your Wedding Reception
Source: mansfieldtraquair via Instagram
Country music is quite popular amongst a wide array of generations and cultures these days. Hence, it is a good idea to include both classic and top 200+ country hits your repertoire. Here is a list of the most popular country wedding reception songs:
The Most Played Singers And Bands At Weddings
Source: dukeimages via Instagram
Of course, you will want to include the best pop songs at your wedding. Here you have a list of some current pop songs that are popular in wedding circles. In addition, these are the most popular songs that bot live musicians and DJs play at weddings today:
- We Found Love – Rihanna (ft. Calvin Harris)
- I’m Yours – Jason Mraz
- Just the Way You Are – Bruno Mars
And remember to think of your guests as well as yourselves when you are choosing your wedding reception dance songs and you won’t go wrong!
Check out our playlist!
How to Choose The Best Wedding Reception Songs
We have included some of the most popular reception songs. Therefore, the two of you need to sit down as a couple and come up with a list of your favorite wedding songs.
Generally speaking, your wedding reception playlist should include music from different genres. This could have Top 40 Pop Hits as well as traditional wedding songs. This includes pop, indie music, country music, rock and roll, a couple of fun songs to sing as well.
Then you must present this list to your DJ or wedding reception band. Make sure that the songs you have selected are in their playlists.
Also, it is important to communicate with all parties involved before the Big Day. This will ensure that everything goes smoothly and there will not be any “surprises” the day of the reception!
As well, check with the venue to see if they have any restrictions on what type of music is to be played. Be sure not to include any songs with graphics or explicit lyrics. This will prevent you from offending anyone at the reception.
But do not worry, there are hundreds of perfectly acceptable songs from which to choose. And this is where we come in! We are the experts at choosing the best wedding receptions songs!
We hope you have enjoyed our list of the most popular songs for wedding reception! Stick with us for everything from how to choose the right wedding dress to how to plan your honeymoon! We have you covered!