For weddings, R& B wedding songs have a way of pulling at the heartstrings of everyone present. Rhythm and blues have been steadily serving us romantic punchlines for almost a hundred years and getting stronger. It talks about everlasting love, commitment, determination, loyalty, and value, brings on a few tears, and reiterates forever.
From the beginning to the end of a wedding, there are lots of top R& B wedding songs that work perfectly. As such, do come with us as we look through a comprehensive list of the best R& B wedding songs.
Brides Often Ask
What Is The History Of R&B?
R&B music (rhythm and blues) originated from the jazz and blues genre in the 1920s-1930s. This was after black Americans migrated to Chicago, Detroit, New York, and Los Angeles in the United States. Most of the best r&b love songs were sung in this era by groups or lone musicians. Highlights of these songs were the instrumentals which include the sax, piano, bass drums, and the electric guitar.
Old r&b love songs have had lots of influence and one worthy of note is the “Afro-Cuban” rhythmic influence. This involved incorporating its rhythmic motifs like the habanera in the 1800s. Afro-Cuban rhythms helped re-Africanize and add spice to r&b music amidst the whole westernization going on.
This was possible through the Afro-Cuban instruments like the bongos, claves, maracas, and conga drums. R&B music has undergone many more cultural transitions including the rock n’ roll influences, down to its current electronic musical fusion. This has seen the production of r&b wedding songs which feature love songs for bride, groom et al.
The R&B genre of music has produced most of the brightest stars of all times. Artists like Sam Cooke, Etta James, Donny Hathaway, the swallows, the clovers, the Cardinals, and more ruled from the 1940s to the 1970s. Stars giving r&b a new face in the 2000s include the likes of John Legend, Alicia Keys, Usher, Beyoncé, and lots more.
All these artists have pelted out great r&b tunes especially in 2018, most of which are perfect black wedding songs. These r&b wedding ceremony songs come in handy as wedding entrance song, love songs for groom and everything in-between.
The old and young blacks, African Americans, Caribbeans, and everyone who’s bubbly and loves to boogie would sure love to hear it at a wedding. This is because they are intense, danceable, and feature great lyrics with depths that touch our core and roots. They are soulful and soothing as most of which you’ll see in this article.
Best R&B Love Songs
For R& B love songs, it’s all about the lyrics, rhythm, and accompanying instruments. These love songs seep into the soul and have lyrics for days. They’re deep with meaning and are perfect for saying your vows, first dance, and serenades. Cool, slow, and smooth, you can take inspiration from them. Talk about Mariah Carey’s “We belong together” which talks about infinite love. We tell you, it’s a classic that remains a favorite. Another masterpiece is “If I ain’t got you” by Alicia Keys. This romantic r&b song talks about the value of the one you love above all others. We love!
- Kc & Jojo 1998 – All my life
- Al Green 1972 – Let’s stay together
- Miguel 2012 – Adorn
- Mariah Carey 2005 – We belong together
- Boys 11 Men 1991 – End of the road
- Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell 1967 – Ain’t no mountain high enough
- The Supremes 1964 – Baby love
- Usher 1997 – Nice & Slow
- Alicia keys 2003 – If I ain’t got you
- Ashanti 2003 – Foolish
- Neyo 2002 – Sexy love
R&B Wedding Ceremony Songs
R&b wedding ceremony songs are sometimes upbeat, and other times slow and sensual. But a constant is that they are romantic and with feeling. Songs like “American Boy” by Estelle is perfect for groom entrance. You have your sights set on your man and want to explore the world with him. He doesn’t have to be American though. Whitney Houston’s “Count on me” is so perfect for vows when you declare your support unconditionally. The song “After all is said and done” by Beyoncé blends into the after vow moment. You’re ready to take on the world with your love.
- Usher ft Alicia keys 2004 – My boo
- Beyoncé 1999 – After all is said and done
- Lionel Richie 1983 – All night long
- Heatwave 1967 – Always and forever
- Estelle 2008 – American boy
- Monica 1998 – Angel of mine
- Barbara Lewis 1965 – Baby I’m yours
- Neyo 2007 – Because of you
- Whitney Houston 1995 – Count on me
- Brian McKnight 1994 – Crazy love
- Lionel Richie and Diana Ross 1981 – Endless love
R&B First Dance Wedding Songs
Taking the first dance? Then the songs must represent your love story and the bond you share. This spans the couple, mother-son and father-daughter dance. Now, you may want it slow, or something you can hit the floor too. We’ve got songs like “Falling” by Alicia Keys, one you can waltz to, whispering sweet nothings. Another is a classic by Anita Baker titled “Just because”. You’re reminded that there’s no reason why you love your partner. You love them just because! And Angela Bofill’s “I’m on your side” is a song of promise that you’d always be there.
- Anita Baker 1988 – Just because
- Alicia keys 2001 – Falling
- Aretha Franklin 1973 – Angel
- Aaron Neville 1966 – Tell it like it is
- Amerie 2002 – Why don’t we fall in love
- Angela Bofill 1983 – I’m on your side
- Aaliyah 1996 – One in a million
- al Green 1972 – I’m glad you’re mine
- All 4 One 1995 – These arms
- Amel Larrieux 2000 – Make me whole
- All 4 one 2002 – Beautiful as you
Old R&B Love Songs
At weddings, regardless of style, there are top R&B wedding songs to play. There’s no compromise on this, as it’s like a sacred and unwritten rule. What’s a wedding without these masterpieces anyway? Songs like “Endless love” by Lionel Richie and Diana Ross is a slow first dance legends. For the vows, Boyz 11 men’s “End of the road” is also a beautiful one for the couple’s procession. It talks about never letting go until the end. These are amongst others you’ll find below.
- Lionel Richie and Diana Ross 1981 – Endless Love
- Boyz 11 men 1991 – Can you stand the rain
- Mariah Carey ft Joe & & 98 degrees 1999 – Thank God I found you
- Toni Braxton 2000 – Spanish guitar
- Jennifer Lopez ft Ll cool J 2002 – All I have
- Al.B sure 1988 – Nite and day
- Usher 2004 – Burn
- Keith Sweat 1996 – Twisted
- Jaheim 2001 – Just in case
- Tamia and Fabolous 2003 – Into you
- Ray Charles 1957 – Ain’t that love
R&B Wedding Songs For Bridesmaid Entrance
The entrance of the bridesmaids indicates the beginning of the journey to forever. They are on a high and there’s no stopping them. They can either walk into a slow song or make a heated dance entrance. Pharrell’s “Happy” is one that the bridesmaids can take a step to. It talks about the giddy feeling as you march into forever. “All of me” by John Legend is a romantic one that talks about absolute love. It’s wholesome and remains one of our all-time favorites. Alicia Keys “No one” is a classic we love to move to. A jam!
- Luther Vandross 2003 – Here and now
- Musiq Soulchild 2002 – Don’t change
- Pharrell Williams 2013 – Happy
- John Legend 2013 – All of me
- Barry White 1974 – Can’t get enough of your love
- Alicia Keys 2007 – No one
- Jennifer Hudson 2008 – Giving myself
- Beyonce 2011 – 1+1
- Bill Withers 1977 – Lovely day
- Four tops 1982 – I believe in you
- Aretha Franklin 2003 – So damn happy
Classic R&B Love Songs
The best R&B wedding songs are heartfelt, highly lyrical, and with depth. They are old and new wedding songs that don’t fail to leave an impression on the listeners. If you’re looking to make a fat wedding playlist of r&b wedding songs, we’ve got quite the collection. Michael Jackson’s “The way you make me feel” is a song to reckon with. Talked about the beautiful ways his beloved made him feel. There’s the romantic one by Marvin Gaye titled “Sexual healing”. One to vibe to non-stop! “My girl” by Temptations is sensual and romantic for her. See the list below for more songs.
- Temptations 1965 – My girl
- D’Angelo 2000 – Untitled (how does it feel)
- Marvin Gaye – Sexual healing
- George Kerr 1977 – Three minutes to hey girl
- Frank Ocean 2012 – Think ’bout you
- Sam Cooke 1960 – Wonderful World
- Stevie Wonder 1995- Signed, sealed, delivered, I’m yours
- Michael Jackson 1987 – The way you make me feel
- Soul generation 1972 – Body and soul
- Jackson 5 2013 – Big boy
- Whitney Houston & Teddy Pendergrass 1984 – Hold me
R&b Wedding songs are evergreen and will take you and the wedding guests through a torrent of emotions. One minute they are all smiley and mushy, the next they are clutching their chests in tears. And later on, they’d get on the dance floor rocking to good music. At the end of the day, it comes to a few things — love, promise, commitment, value, and loyalty. Our top r&b wedding songs promise all these, even as you make your playlist for weddings, engagements, and anniversaries.