Getting married in a church is more sentimental than practical, especially if you grew up in the church. Another advantage of a church wedding is that church wedding prices are quite cheap. With couples spending between $3000 to $11000 on a venue only, a tiny sum for the church takes off a huge cost.
If you want to save money on your wedding venue, have the ceremony in church and sometimes, the reception too. So if you’ve settled for a church wedding, here’s the average cost to rent a church across America.
Average Church Wedding Cost
Matter of fact, a church wedding cost nothing. A wedding ceremony under God is not for sale. But there’s a thing call donation. Although it allows the couple to use the church grounds for some hours, it’s still a donation. For couples who grew up or are regular members in the church, the fee could be none to minimal. It says at an average of $200.
Other couples who’re not members spend between $400 to $2000 for a church ceremony.
Getting married in a church costs $1000 on average.
A small church of 100 people capacity may cost between $100 to $300. For synagogues that can take about 250 people, the average cost is $400 to $700. Large cathedrals that can take 300 people and above cost between $800 to $3000. These average prices vary in the city you live in and the type of church you want to get married in.
Yet, anyhow you look at it, it is way cheaper than halls and ballrooms for the ceremony. This is without the fee of the organist, maybe officiant, decor and any other necessities you need. But no matter how much all these costs, it remains cheaper than outside of the church.
Additional Costs For A Church Wedding
How much does a church wedding cost?
We’ve established that it’s $1000 on average. This covers the number of hours for the ceremony, including set up time. And, any rehearsal at the location. But there are additional things the cost doesn’t cover. See them below.
- Organists/musicians: Some churches cover this part in the package. But in some cases, you have to pay the musicians to be present to play at your wedding. They will charge between $300 to $900, depending on how many they are and their experience. Music for a ceremony is often cheering than that of reception.
- Decor: While some churches come much decorated, you’ll have to buy your decorations for others. They include flowers for the pews and altar, ribbons, bows, candles, signage, tulle or burlap for the couple tent, etc. This will cost $391 on the average, says The Bridal Association of America.
- Steeple Bells: Most couples wish to have the steeple bells rung at their wedding. Most churches don’t have that done for free. Couples will party with about $100 or more.
- Covering: Lots of churches like Anglican, Catholic, some Pentecostal and other denominations in some regions don’t allow baring. This includes the opening of the hair, baring of the arms, shoulder or chests for either the brides or bridal party. So couples will spend between $30 to $70 to buy shawls, caplets, hair scarves or caps, and shawls.
- Ceremony supplies: Couples who want to incorporate any rituals into their ceremony will spend more. Unity candles or sand ceremony will attract $20 to $100 for the materials. A basic or ornate chuppah or canopy for the Jewish ceremony will cost $100 to $500 or more.
- Deposit: Few churches ask for a deposit that’s refundable in the event that you don’t damage anything. This costs about $200 or more.
Church Wedding Prices
Let’s look at the average cost to rent a church for a wedding in America.
- Middle collegiate church, New York
This is a historic church built in the 17th century. The average wedding cost here is $2000 per hour. It attracts an extra $100 for every other hour the wedding extends. The fee covers the bride and groom dressing room, furniture, piano, set up and cleans up. Couples also get a day off coordinator, full large kitchen, large parking lot, organist and pianist. The historical feature is the main attraction.
- Wayfarer’s Chapel, Palos Verdes, California
Also known as the glass chapel, this place costs between $2600 to $3000 for 2 hours. This includes event set up and cleans up. For Tuesdays, it cost $1800. The fee covers wedding planning service, chapel musicians, large parking lot, and bride dressing room.
- Redeemer church
This is a sanctuary that sits 200 people at the most. It supplies dressing rooms for the groom and bride. It also serves the equipment lime sound system, video projection, microphone, furniture, and parking lot. Rehearsal is for 2 hours a day before the wedding and the wedding lasts for 5 hours. They have their officiants to oversee the wedding. They also have a custodian to coordinate the day. All these amounts to $500. Every hour after the 7th hour attracts a fee of $50.
- Marty Leonard Chapel, Texas
This place sits 200 people and charges based on the day and time of the week. Monday to Thursday cost $375 to $800. Friday costs $550 to $1200, Saturday costs $1000 to $1800 and Sunday costs $1000. There’s also a refundable deposit of $300.
The fee covers kitchen, dressing room, decor, furniture, piano, all sound system, and wireless internet. It also covers a 1-hour rehearsal and 3 hours wedding ceremony. There are extra free hours for bridal portraits too.
Discounts For A Church Wedding
To get huge discounts for a church wedding, you must be quite affiliated with the church in a way. You or your family must be a member, for about 12 months in most cases. They tend to collect fees just enough to cover the wedding. Every other thing is free.
For instance, the church of the assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Nashville takes a whopping $2000 for non-members. But for members, they take $350. This is on the condition that members are active for at least 12 months.
In other cases, you could go back to your school chapel and get married. It’s a small chapel and won’t cost much. And, being an alumnus gives you more leverage to pay less than others, if there was a discount. Churches, where you have no affiliations, may offer wedding packages. This could give you discounts than picking random services. Always ask the handlers what the perks are. This will inform your decision.
So, how much does it cost to get married in a church? Church wedding prices vary by the services offered, city and the type of church. We’ll also consider the sitting capacity, the pedigree of the church and time of the week. All these put together to determine the average cost to rent a church for the wedding. But the all-time average is $1000 which could go lower or higher to suit your budget.