Truth is that getting married and saying wedding vows is a serious affair, as promises of a lifetime are made. Yet, a wedding void of the couple’s personal touch, style, personality, and some laughter is just another tension-filled day. So to make the day a little lighthearted, couples now incorporate funny wedding vows into their big day.
But can we ascertain the right balance between romance and humor as regards hilarious wedding vows? Write yours or borrow, go non-traditional or vow renewal, we’ve helped you create that balance with some examples and tips.
Funny Wedding Vows For Him
Funny wedding vows for him are your vows to him. In sweet, romantic, yet hilarious words, you tell him how much he means to you. Now, this can pose a challenge, especially if you intend writing your wedding vows.
Source: disney wed cast
Think about those attributes that attracted you to him, if there are fun ways he does things and all that. Include the mundane things you do together that makes your bond stronger. It could be that time both of you went to clean the attic and he ran for his life at the sight of a spider. These are pointers for him.
- “I, _____, take you _____, to be my (wife/husband), to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, for even poorer when I’ve been shopping, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part.”
- “I promise that you will be as important to me as coffee, as chocolate, and as all the episodes of Grey’s put together.”
- “I take you to be my lawfully wedded husband, in sickness and in health, until death do us apart or you turn into a zombie. Because then we’re going to have to start seeing other people.”
- “I promise to tell you what you can pull off clotheswise and be honest when it’s just not working.”
- “Now that we have gotten skinny for this wedding, let’s get real fat together.”
Funny Wedding Vows For Her
Funny wedding vows for her like the above are your vows to her. Your ability to get through to her depends on how deep your romantic funny wedding vows to her are. Think of her tastes, hobbies, mannerisms, music, food and more. Look within all these things and you will find where the humor is.
Source: nicola dixon photography co
Is she dramatic? Is there a funny way she gesticulates when she is quite pissed? Is there a movie she has forced you to watch for the 100th time, and she cries at the end? These are the little things that make heartfelt vows for her.
- “I promise to hold off secretly watching episodes on Netflix we are watching together until we are actually together.”
- “I want us to grow old and crusty together, to shake our collective fists at teenagers, and to talk endlessly about the old days when things were better, cheaper, and generally more wholesome.”
- “I promise to always respect your choice of music in the car when you are driving. If you are not driving, however…”
- “In front of our friends and family gathered here, I promise to love and cherish you in good times and in bad. I promise to put down the toilet seat – and to replace the toilet roll when it’s over and to never, ever, ever forget our wedding anniversary or your birthday.”
- “I promise to take out the garbage, even in the pouring rain or freezing cold.”
Non-Traditional Funny Vows
While many couples from way back love traditional wedding vows that scream, over, love and honor. Modern couples are opting for non-traditional vows that are fresh, personal and void of traditional undertones. Opting for humorous wedding vows that are non-traditional is the perfect tool to thaw a tensed ambiance. Step out of the conventional by taking advantage of the things in your life.
Source: chris and ruth
With exception to snide remarks or rude inside jokes, talk about your love journey. Infuse some humor, make sure your guests relate and make promises to your beloved at every stage. And there you have your vow.
- “I want your worst—give me your bad hair days, your long commutes, your burnt coffee, lost keys, splashed shoes, annoying coworkers, lost receipts, broken copiers. Give me your everyday and I will give you my love to make it alright.”
- “I promise to love and cherish you as much as I do our dog. From this day forward, I will lint roll the chairs whenever your parents visit. I will love you in sickness and in health, as long as you take care of the vet visits.”
- “Let’s be dumb together — just plain stupid. Make bad choices, eat the wrong things, take wrong turns, and then let’s tell great stories, the same ones—for ever and ever until no one can stand us but each other.”
- “I can’t wait to take your last name – I am going to totally steal your identity.”
- “If you promise to kill the spiders, I’ll promise to make your lunch, if you take out the trash (and the dog at night), I will make the bed. And if you love me, I will love you.”
Funny Renewal Wedding Vows
With some years into marriage, both of you would have managed to gather memories for your vow renewal. This makes it easy to write your funny renewal wedding vows yes? This isn’t always the case, as it is quite an emotional one. But the best way out is to think of what living with your spouse has been like.
Source: chris and ruth
Pen down the things they do that drive you crazy, but make you laugh. Talk about their funny and sweet side. And if there are hilarious things that drive your love, talk about them too to lighten up your special day.
- “I promise to remind you of our anniversary at least 2 days before. Because you don’t want to find out what happens if you forget an anniversary.”
- “I promise that as your wife, I will not keep score, even though I am totally winning.”
- “I promise to agree that you really are the best driver on the road and always know exactly where you’re going.”
- “I promise to love you as much as I love shopping and to not hold your obsession with trainers against you.”
- “I will pause the TV when you want to talk through neighbours and I will not complain when you check emails on your day off.”
How To Write Funny Wedding Vows
For your fun wedding vows to pack the right comedic punch, a few things are important. One of which is the ability to strike the tough balance between humor, romance, and sentimental sincerity. But remember that you are not a comedian of any sort, so do not overdo or push your luck.
Source: olive paperie co
You must master where and how to infuse humor to make funny wedding vows without making anyone uncomfortable. You’ll successfully create hilarious wedding vows if you follow the tips below.
- Avoid one-liners, as they tend to come out flat and corny. Instead, create depth by making strong-worded and meaningful promises. In between these promises, insert humor.
- Center your humorous wedding vows on a theme. You may choose to talk about the dreams both of you have, his thoughtfulness, and his care for you, etc. Choose something you want to convey to him.
- Do you have nicknames for each other? Start and close with it. Mind you, whatever you say is on record. So use only nicknames that are fit for the public and for the ears of your grandchildren.
- Let your personality shine through, even as you say your vows.
- Throw in some family jokes known to everyone.
In five categories, we have discussed funny wedding vows. Creating them is an art, and if you must wow everyone present, master it. We also dropped tips for writing humorous wedding vows. Read, learn and get inspired by them.