Son wedding speech – is possibly the most sentimental thing that can happen at a wedding. Lots of important family and friends give speeches at weddings, and if the couple has kids, they sometimes contribute as well. These speeches are becoming quite the thing, and if you’re the son of a bride or groom, you might be looking at giving son wedding speeches.
This speech shows your parent how proud you are of them and how happy you are for this stage in their lives. Finding the right words can sometimes be difficult, but that’s why we are here.
Read on for a guide and tips on how to give son wedding speeches.
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Start Son Wedding Speech?
Start by introducing yourself and thanking the guests for honoring the couple with their presence. Whether you’re giving a wedding speech as son of the bride or groom, you can continue by talking about your parent, sharing memories and jokes.
When The Son Should Give A Speech At Mother’s Wedding?
Speeches are traditionally given after the wedding meal whether it’s dinner or lunch. So, if you are scheduled to speak, you can start getting ready soon as everyone has been fed.
Son Wedding Speech: Main Tips
The wedding speech for a son to the bride or groom is important because of the relationship between a child and their parent. This speech, asides from being a love letter, could be a great way to show that the child approves this union and welcomes this new parent into the family. Here are a few helpful tips.
- Don’t sweat it, just relax and be yourself. Understand that you’re just giving a speech for a few minutes, nothing more.
- Understand that you’re not required to be funny or anything like that. Just speak from the heart, and that should be fine.
- Appreciate your parent, tell them the ways they make you happy and talk about how happy you are for them.
- You can add a cute story or memory that will resonate but remember to keep it short. The best speeches are under ten minutes.
Son Of The Bride Speech
The wedding speech for the son of the bride is an opportunity to appreciate your mom and honor her as she starts this new chapter in her life. This is also a time to express your love for her and perhaps even tease her a little like you’re used to, or even tease the groom too.
However simple this might seem; it can be challenging for most. You could use the following tips to sharpen your skills and deliver that speech your mom will love.
- Write down your speech. Even if you know it by heart, it helps to have it written down.
- Choose your outfit carefully, make sure it’s something you like, an attire that makes you confident enough to stand in front of people and speak.
- Practice your speech. While a son of the bride wedding speech might seem simple, you could falter giving the speech if you don’t practice enough. So, whether it’s with siblings or even a dear friend or to a mirror, make sure you practice giving the speech a few times.
- Consider using cue cards if you can, instead of a long piece of paper that might confuse you and distract the audience.
- Ask family members to rate your speech honestly and decide if you need more practice.
- Memorize your speech if you can. This way, you can look at the guests more and less at your cue cards. You will also have more confidence if you don’t have to read it out.
Son To Mother Wedding Speech: Tips On Writing
- Make your speech as human as possible. Write about how such a special day makes you feel and what your mother means to you.
- Mention family, the love that you share and why this day is so important.
- Read and edit all you have written over and over until you feel it is perfect.
Tips On Giving The Speech
- After introducing yourself, be appreciative. Appreciate the guests for being there and say a few nice words about the couple.
- Find that sweet spot of giving a speech that is long enough, but not too long. Between five and ten minutes is a good duration for a son to mother wedding speech.
- Give jokes if you want, but don’t go overboard. Be kind with your humor. Tease, but don’t cross over to making fun of anyone.
Son Of The Bride Wedding Speech Outline Guide
Here is an outline that can help you better write your son of the bride wedding speech.
- Introduction: Always begin with introducing yourself, and then welcome family and guests, thank them for taking the time to be there.
- Share stories and memories: Stories and memories are a great way to connect with your audience and convey whatever feelings you have for your parent and their partner.
- Tease if you want to: Humor is always good. You can tease your parent lightly and watch them light up with pride. It will amuse the guests too.
- Mention your mom or dad’s partner: Remember to talk about their partner. You could include them in the tease or welcome them into the family. Thank them for all they’ve been to you and your parent.
- End with well wishes: Finish with well wishes to the couple. If you are well above the legal age, you could end it with a toast.
What Not To Say In a Speech
- Don’t bring up bad memories. On such a day of celebration, the last thing you want to do is air dirty linen in public. This is a day of joy, a day to celebrate love and family. If there are any personal challenges or grievances, they can always be discussed afterwards.
- Do not cry extensively. While it is a good idea to show emotion, tears of joy are a good thing. However, it would be nice to hold in any excessive emotion so that the focus can remain on the couple and not shift to you.
- Don’t go overboard on the humor. Try to be light with the teasing. Jokes are good, but only in moderation. You need to ensure that they do not cross the line from funny to offensive.
Son Of The Groom Speech
The special bond between a father and a son often warrants a son to father wedding speech. This is an opportunity to speak from the heart about what your father means to you and how you value his new relationship. This would be the time to also give them your good wishes and welcome your new stepmother into the family. Below are a few helpful tips.
Son To Father Wedding Speech: Tips On Writing
- Introduction. Always start with introducing yourself, since not everyone there might know who you are.
- Express your feelings. Talk about how you feel on such a special day and what the couple mean to you.
- Tell a story. You can always bring your speech together with a story about an experience or memory that will highlight the good qualities of your parent and their partner in connection to you.
Tips On Giving The Speech
- Welcome the guests. While introducing yourself it’s important to remember to welcome the guests. Some of them have come a long way to honor their invitations.
- Focus. While honoring your father in your speech, remember that the main focus is his new relationship and his partner. So, honor your father but also remember to recognize his new wife.
- Add humor, but it’s not compulsory. If you can find something funny to say, it would help loosen up the audience. But, it’s not something you have to do. You can always give a simple and expressive speech and it will be just as good.
Son Of The Groom Speech On Wedding Day Outline Ideas
- Introduce yourself and thank the guests for coming.
- Share memories and stories about your father and his partner if possible, or about your relationship with your father.
- Add humor if you can. Teasing your dad would add some fun to your speech that will also connect with the audience.
- Welcome your stepmother to the family, and end with well wishes to the couple.
What Not To Say In Speech
- Try not to bring up any exes. This would include your mom as it might be a touchy subject. However, if it is not, you could find a sweet way to mention her or her memory if deceased.
- Do not make a long speech. Speeches can get boring if too long, and guests can become distracted.
- Do not bring up any grievances or bad memories. There is a place and time for everything, and this is a time for love and celebration.
Son Wedding Speech Examples To Find Inspiration
Use these son of the groom and son of the bride wedding speech examples to find the inspiration to write your own.
Hi all! My name is _, I am the son of our fiance. It is the first time when I give a speech at a wedding and I don’t know what to talk about.
I will say one thing, I am glad that my dad managed to find such a wonderful woman and become happy again. Some people know some don’t, my mother died 10 years ago. It took many years for our family to recover and start living anew.
And today I want to congratulate the newlywed and welcome _ to our family!
Good evening! I am the son of the bride, _. First of all, I want to thank everyone who is here with us today on this special day for our family.
My mom today is just incredibly beautiful and her eyes sparkle with happiness. What could be better? I am very glad that she met _, he is a very cheerful and kind man. I think we will become good friends.
Cheers! For the bride and groom!
My name is _. I am the son of our bride. To be honest, when my mother told me to give a speech, I wrote it for 3 weeks, in the end, I threw it out and decided that I would say something from the heart already on the spot.
The biggest thing I want to say is how much I love my mother, how proud I am of her, and how glad I am that she has found such a wonderful man.
And of course, thank you all for coming today and celebrating such a joyful event with us!
Hi dad and _, and all our guests! Thank you for being with us today. I _, the son of the groom and I would like to say a few words.
Age is not a hindrance to love! And today we can see it! My mother has been gone for more than 20 years and we all believed that one day my dad would meet his love again. So, here we are today at his wedding.
This is incredible happiness! You just look at _. She is so beautiful today!
Cheers! Be happy!
Whether you’re at your dad or mom’s wedding and need to give a son wedding speech, we hope this guide and tips will be able to inspire you when writing your own.