It’s easy to panic if you’ve been tasked with giving a best friend wedding speech, especially if you’re not good at public speaking. However, no need to worry; with the right tips and a bit of guidance, giving a wedding speech for a best friend would be no trouble at all.
Read on to get helpful writing techniques and guides in delivering your speech in the best way possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Best Friend Wedding Speech: Everything You Need To Know
Your best friend is no doubt dear to you and witnessing their wedding would bring joy and a variety of emotions. Your speech at their wedding can be an avenue to express these feelings to your friend.
Top of our wedding speech ideas for a best friend is to make your wedding speech personal. You know your best friend more than most. And, asides from knowing what they want to hear, you also know what they need to hear. You can mention incidents in your relationship that helped reveal their good qualities and their value in your life. Values that they would no doubt carry into their marriage.
You should also remember to focus on the couple as it’s their day. So, while it’s okay to talk about your friend, you should also find points of intersection with her partner and their relationship.
When To Give Best Friend Speech At Wedding?
The schedule for wedding speeches is not set in stone. However, traditionally the father of the bride speaks first, then the groom, and then the best man or maid of honor. So, you can expect to speak sometime after the groom has spoken, and before or after any member of the bridal party.
How Long Should The Speech Be?
The perfect duration for a wedding toast and speech for a best friend is 5 minutes. However, some speeches can last longer. It’s important that your speech remains under ten minutes or your guests can become bored. It should also not be below 3 minutes, or you wouldn’t get to say anything meaningful at all.
5 Steps To Create The Wedding Speech For Best Friend
It’s always an honor to be asked to give a short wedding speech for a best friend on their special day. However, if you have difficulty writing or giving speeches, you can use these practical steps as a guide.
- Introduce yourself: Introducing yourself is a great way to start since not everyone there might know who you are. It’s also the polite thing to do. You should also acknowledge the guests and thank them for being there.
- Say some words about the wedding and the newlyweds: Talk about the couple, their love, perhaps the story of how they met and what they mean to you.
- Say some words about your friend: There will no doubt be lots you would want to say about your friend. However, it’s a good idea to compress it to a memory or story that expresses more about their character, also something that you can connect to their relationship and to their partner.
- Add a joke or a quote: If you have any good best friend wedding speech quotes, this would be a good time to interject them. You could give one or two, not to make your speech too long.
- Say congratulation words: End your speech with your well wishes for the couple and a toast if possible.
Dos And Don’ts For Wedding Toast Speech For Best Friend
While a guide for giving wedding speeches can be helpful, we find that knowing certain do’s and don’ts for best friend wedding speech ideas can be helpful as well.
- Start with an introduction: It’s the polite thing to do, but also not everybody might know who you are.
- Welcome the newlyweds and the guests: Welcome everyone, and thank the guests especially for taking the time to be there for the celebration.
- Share stories about your best friend: You know them more than most, so this would be a good time to highlight their good qualities. If you’d like to give a funny best friend wedding speech you could include a hilarious memory here.
- Say something nice about your friend’s partner: If you have any anecdotes about how they met, you could include that too.
- End with good wishes for the couple: Say some inspiring words. Then, you can add a toast as well.
- Do not introduce bad memories: This is a day to celebrate with your friend and their family. If you have any bad memories or even any disagreements, this is not the place to bring that up. Focus on the happiness and love of the day. Everything else can come afterwards.
- Don’t overshare: Be careful what you share. Some things are too personal to tell to a crowd. Choose to share what you know your friend would be comfortable with and the guests will be happy to hear. Don’t share any stories that would make anyone uncomfortable.
- Do not make costly jokes: Jokes are only great when they are in good humor. Keep your jokes clean and try to strike a balance. Do not allow your jokes cross the line from funny into offensive. Light humor is always best.
- Don’t make your speech long and boring: The perfect timing for a speech is between three and five minutes. So, don’t make your speech too short that the message gets lost. But don’t allow it get so long that the audience begins to get bored and distracted.
- Do not mention any exes: Whether it’s your friend’s exes or their partner’s. This is not a good time to mention them. Exes belong in the past. Focus on the present, on the couple and on their joyous celebration.
Best Friend Wedding Speech Examples
Something else that can guide you in delivering the best wedding speech is examples to show you how the outline works. So, here are some best friend wedding speech examples to show you just how you can put those words together in honoring your best friend on their special day.
Hello everyone! My name is _, I am the best friend of the bride.
They say that good things happen to good people. And today, we can see this for ourselves!
I have known the bride since childhood and the groom for about 5 years. And I think they are just made for each other! They had found their balance; she had found her calm, and he had found his fire.
_ is without a doubt one of the most amazing people I know; she is kind and loving, funny and fierce. So I can confidently say that I am very lucky to have such a friend.
_, I want to thank you for loving my girl. There is no one who can do it as well as you. For the newlyweds! Be happy!
Good evening ladies and gentlemen! For those who don’t know me – I’m _, the bride’s best friend.
I am honored to be here today and, in general, to be her friend. Her warmth and generous nature draw people to her. She is brave and full of love. This is the kindest person I know, and I am sure that _ will be able to make her happy for many, many years. They are so similar! Don’t you think? Both in their appearance and in personality! This is truly one of those unions that were made in heaven!
Let’s raise our glasses to this beautiful couple! You are perfect! Cheers!
Hi all! My name is _, I am the best friend of the groom.
What is love? It is a short word, easy to spell, difficult to define, and impossible to live without. I’m just incredibly happy that _ was able to find such a beautiful girl, and today we are all here at their wedding, celebrating their love!
When we were 9 years old, we promised each other never to get married. Haha. _, do you remember? And here we are, and today I am happy as ever, oh, I already said that, sorry!
Be happy, my dear, you have a long and interesting life ahead of you! Enjoy it!
Good evening everyone! I’m so glad to be here today. My name is_, I’m the groom’s best friend.
_ and I became friends in college – we played soccer together and liked to go to parties. And one day, at one of the parties, he disappeared. I was looking for him the whole evening, already beginning to worry. And then it turned out that he met our bride and they went to look at the stars. And then I realized that now _ would appear in our company often. Haha.
5 years have passed, and here we are today! You are so beautiful, it’s incredible! And you are so happy! Please be so happy always!
And on that note, I ask you all to raise a toast to our newlyweds! Cheers!
There is no need to worry or fret if you have been asked to give a best friend wedding speech. With the right tips and guidance, you can improve your writing techniques and create a wedding speech that your friend will be proud of. Once you’re done writing a speech that you are sure of, delivering it on that day will be a like a walk in the park.