Wedding speeches are an essential part of every wedding. They let all the members of the bridal party and guests share their overwhelming emotions of the big day. Best wedding speeches stay in our memory forever, marking the significance of the wedding day for everyone involved. It can be quite challenging to fit all the feelings you want to share into a single toast. Let us give you a hand and share some tips.
Wedding Speeches Schedule
You might nor be aware of this fact, but wedding speeches have their own logistics. It is important to keep to the order. Traditionally, a wedding reception starts with the groom’s speech. The next person to deliver a toast is the father of the bride. Best man wedding speeches are usually reserved until after that, and the last, but not least, is the maid of honor. Another option you can see goes like this: best man, maid of honor, father of the bride, parents of the groom, the groom, the bride, any guest of honor.
Groom Wedding Speech
The groom’s wedding speech starts reception. On behalf of himself and his bride, he expresses his gratitude to everyone involved in the wedding preparations. He toasts his parents, bridesmaids and the groom’s party, and mentions their help and support. His speech is often quite sentimental, as he shares some personal memories. He also mentions how his life has changed since he met his bride.
Here is a great example of how you can put your emotions into words.
- “I would like to thank my parents for all the help they have given me over the years, if it wasn’t for them I wouldn’t be here now.
I would also like to thank (my wife’s) parents for making me feel like the son they never wanted, sorry the son the never had, right from day 2. Day 1 was a bit rough, but hey, they’re over it now.
I would also like to thank them for having such a beautiful, intelligent, kind and caring daughter. I hope to do you both proud and thank you both for everything you have done today and to make today happen.”
Wedding Speeches for Parents
When the kids find love, the parents are also happy. So, it rests upon them to give wedding reception speeches in honor of their children. Now, depending on the chosen style, you’ll have to fit in with the wedding theme. Most times, a funny speech is just perfect, because it works for every wedding. Below, we’ll see wedding speech examples for different parents.
Wedding Speeches for Mother of the Groom
As a mother of the groom, wedding speeches for your son will be an emotional one. You’ll talk about his growing up, the bond you share and how he was well raised. You can also say something about the bride, like when you first met her. Finish by how proud you are and how they are well made for each other. You can add one or two romantic quotes, and close. See the wedding speeches sample below.
- “The first time I saw you, it was love. My little baby grew into a wobbly toddler, and then a smart child. The pre-teen and teen years and the next thing I knew, you’ve become a man.
I am so proud of you. You’ve made us proud of everything you’ve done. And on your wedding today, we wish you only the best.”
Wedding Speeches for Mother of the Bride
The wedding speeches for mother of the bride isn’t a norm. But today, it’s becoming acceptable especially if the father isn’t involved. Tell your daughter that she’s beautiful and strong. Talk about the good memories in her growing years. And if her father has passed, talk about him with fondness.
- “It’s no news that we love our kid so much, and seeing them grow up is hard. Everything they do fills you with pride. But you also miss the little girl who cuddles into you. And cried to you when she scraped her knee. Now my daughter is older and I’m grateful and proud that she found love in the groom. May your lives be long, happy, and peaceful together.”
Wedding Speeches for Father of the Groom
Your son getting married excites you, because he carries on the torch. Again, he will be looking to you for support and wisdom for marriage. So, good wedding speeches from the father of the groom must contain lots of quotes about marriage. Draw inspiration from talking about your own marriage, the bond you share, and why he’s a great son.
- “My greatest blessing is having a son, one that mirrors me in many ways. But like his dream, he’s grown into his own person. He has taught me as much as I’ve taught him and I’m proud. My son is someone who goes the extra mile for people and I know he’ll make an amazing husband. I wish you every best, as we raise our glass to the groom and his amazing bride.”
Wedding Speeches for Father of the Bride
As the father of the bride, you have responsibilities to your baby girl. From walking her down the aisle to the father-daughter dance. Throwing in a great speech is just perfect. Let your love for your baby shine through and talk about her growing up. Remember the groom, give them pieces of advice, and your best wishes. See the wedding speeches template below for some inspiration.
- “Looking at both of you in your beautiful dress and dapper suit, my wedding day comes to mind. We were quite excited, filled with love, merriment and of course nervousness. From me to you, I’ll tell you for free that a successful marriage requires falling in love many times. And doing it with the same person always.”
Wedding Best Man Speech
Wedding speeches best man deliver are usually the most humorous of all the others. Thank you’s are also appropriate, especially to the bridesmaids and fellow groomsman. Some anecdotes about the groom would be also much anticipated. People expect wedding best man speeches to be memorable, funny, with well wishes to the couple. Humor is a must.
Take a look at this great example of a witty speech, presented by the best man.
- “There comes a time in everyone’s life when they meet their one true love, their sole mate, the person that’s going to know and love them for the rest of their life. That moment came for the groom…3 years ago when he met me.
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, for those of you that don’t know me my name is Dan, What-would-you-like-to-drink. I hope you’ll come and say hello at the bar later, but please…call me by my full name.
On behalf of bride and groom I’d like to thank you all for coming. And I want to give special thanks to parents of the bride and groom… it’s amazing how far some people are willing to travel, just for some free food and drink.
And finally I’d like to thank my best friend (the groom), for giving me the first EVER opportunity…. to be able to speak for five minutes without him interrupting!”
- “They say, in a good marriage the husband is the head, and the wife is the heart. So let us drink to the fact that our young people did not know in life either headaches or heartaches!”
- “Love is not a fire, it will catch fire, you will not put out. In the hearts of our young people, the fire of love burns. This is a sacred fire. So, fill our glasses and amicably drink to ensure that it never goes out in their hearts!”
- “I drink to ensure that our newly married and in 10 years and 20 years of family life, looking at his charming wife, lost his head, but not reason.”
- “Friends! I offer a drink for a kiss! After all, he came up with a man, because he did not find any other way to close a mouth to a woman.”
Maid Of Honor Speech Outline
There is one thing all wedding speeches maid of honor makes have in common: they boost the bride. Like any other wedding speech, the maid of honor’s speech can be witty and humorous, but the most important feature of this category is love and sentimentality. Add a couple of memorable stories you have of the newlyweds. Don’t forget well wishes!
If you are looking for some maid of honor speech ideas, here is an example you could get inspired by.
- “Before I go any further, I just want to say, Bride you look absolutely beautiful and Groom, you’ve never looked more handsome.
For those of you who don’t know me and for those who can’t tell, I’m Bride’s sister. Thank you Bride for the honour of being your bridesmaid.
Obviously I’ve known Bride all of my life and we know more about each other than we would probably care to. We’ve laughed together, cried together and laughed until we’ve cried. We’ve also had the odd fight! We also have so many inside jokes that only we find funny.”
- “A real woman can make a man who surrendered to her, always think that he is the winner. Look at our groom. He looks like a winner. Therefore, let us drink to his beautiful victory and the woman who allowed herself to be defeated, the bride.”
- “What is the difference between the fairy tale and the reality? A fairy tale is when he married a snake, and she became a princess. A reality when it on the contrary. Let the life of our newlyweds be like a fairy tale!”
Wedding Speeches for Best Friends
We already know you are best friends, but you still have to consider the depth of your relationship. This will determine how much you can say and what they can take. You also have to study your audience to be sure that you don’t say any uncomfortable jokes.
- “I’m here to talk about two very special people, John and Eve. I’ve been friends with Eve since kindergarten. On our first day at school, we met and formed a friendship that has lived two decades and some.
We got into trouble a lot and got grounded many times by the parents. My bestie is free-spirited and has a strong will to date. James, I hope you’re prepared for marriage with a woman who is full of life and spirit. With her, you’ll never live the same day twice.
I wish you heaven’s best all your life. A toast…”
Wedding Welcoming Speeches
The wedding welcome speeches come immediately into the reception. It’s traditionally done by the father of the bride. But anyone can be designated to do it. Welcome the guests, and remind them who’s getting married. Talk about love and the many beautiful things that will happen at the wedding. Remember to introduce yourself and throw in some wedding toast quotes. See the sample below.
- “Welcome to the celebration of James and Eve’s wedding. A tale of love that promises to last forever. Today promises to be one of beauty, friendships formed, and bonds lasting forever. For you all who have come from far and near to celebrate, we hope you take joy home with you.
The happiness of marriage is the highest happiness on earth. And this is what we’ve witnessed today. Sit back, relax, have the time of your lives, and thank you for choosing to share in our joy.
Short Wedding Speeches
Whether you’re giving wedding speeches for the bride, best man or brother; the shorter the better. This will help make sure you don’t bore the audience. Great wedding speeches that are short pack punches that make them worth the while. Always introduce yourself, poke fun, throw in some humor and say thank you. See the example below.
- “Groom, thank you for being an anchor, a friend, and brother. And I can’t be more proud that you married an amazing bride. Man! You’ve won a lottery!
We celebrate both of you tonight, and all of the good things you are. You care for everyone and I’m sure you’ll care for her. We wish you success, laughter, and love. May your humor in bad times and appreciation in good times never leave you. May you get answers to prayers. May the friendship you share keep growing till death parts you. Cheers to you!”
Wedding Thank You Speeches
Wedding thank you speeches gives you the opportunity to thank your guests. You will also extend your appreciation to everyone who made your day possible. If you intend to mention names, have a list, so that you don’t leave anyone out. This speech can come from the bride or groom. But it’s always better to skip the names. Also, infuse some humor.
- “We (couple) worked really hard to make this day perfect. But we remembered that being bound to the one you love in the presence of your loved ones — is what makes the day perfect.
I’m overjoyed that we had beautiful weather. The food and drinks were great and everyone is happy.
Thank you all, especially my beloved, because today I’m bound to him to start a beautiful journey together. And after all my fears and jitters, today turned out to be much more memorable than we planned.
Wedding Officiant Speeches
Great wedding officiant speeches must be short, sweet and have the perfect length to keep guests dialed in. The officiant should leverage the relationship and how much they know the couple. You must also tailor your speech in line with the wedding style.
- “Shall we all sit?
Today, we gather to witness and celebrate the matrimony of Eve and James. What they have is an existing bond, and we’ve come together to strengthen it. As family and friends, it’s our honor to witness today.
Marriage is a lifetime commitment where two people work tirelessly to bring out the best in each other. You get an opportunity to share your joys, success, failures, and burdens with an ally for life. You get an opportunity to share and grow. One relationship which no other can equal. You are in for a physical and emotional binding that has the promise of a lifetime.”
Wedding Anniversary Speeches
A wedding anniversary speech must be heartfelt, sweet and short. Whoever is giving the speech must know that it’s a time to reminisce and give good wishes. So, you’ll talk about the marriage, throw in some humor and bless the couple. If it’s the couple giving the speech, some advice will go a long way.
- “Anniversaries are beautiful recollections of the past years and reflection for the years to come.
The years past were happy and successful ones in many ways. They’re shrouded in a kaleidoscope of great relationships, supportive families and happy memories. I’m not saying it’s smooth, but with your support, the journey became easier.
We can only be grateful, even as we look forward to better years. As we celebrate our 50th year, I want to thank you for walking with us. It’s not a question of where you, it’s who goes with you.
Thank you, everyone.”
Wedding Quotes for Speeches
Wedding quotes can take your speech to the next level. It can even become the center of your wedding speech because it’s thoughtful, heartfelt and catchy. All you need to do is think of a quote that relates to their love and wedding style. You can coin some if you’re a creative. You may also take inspiration from books, movies, poets and even our examples below.
- “I’ve seen nothing more satisfying than two people coming together to become one. The share in each other’s pleasure, and bear each other’s pain. They crush their enemies together and make home with their friends.”
- “The pain and weight of life vanish from our lives by one word. It sets us free and we live again. It’s called LOVE.”
- “If you want to keep your marriage cup filled and running over, always admit your wrongs. And, if you’re right, be kind to shut up.”
Wedding Speeches Guide
Essential Wedding Speeches Tips You Need To Know
- If you feel out of ideas on how to write a wedding speech, here’s a great idea for a start: talk to the couple’s nearest and dearest first. It might give you some ideas for the speech. You are going to need several positive qualities and one or two funny stories.
- Start your speech with your relationship to the couple. Don’t forget to thank all the guests for being here. Praise the couple, and share several stories, that show their best qualities. Ask guests to raise the glasses. Voila!
- Make your speech as personal, as possible – after all, this event is all about relationships and emotions
- Add some humor (but not too much)!
- Practice your speech! It will help you to deliver the speech more smoothly.
Check out this amazing wedding speech and get the inspiration!
What Makes A Perfect Wedding Speech?
So what makes a great wedding speech? First of all, a wedding is a celebration of love. So make it sentimental and all about the newlyweds.
Funny wedding speeches are very popular among guests. Don’t be afraid to get personal – it is a celebration for the nearest and dearest only. Do share your memories of good ol’ days you had together. Keep in short and sweet, but at the same time not too short. Well wishing for the lucky couple is a must.
Wedding speeches are the right time for childhood memories, sweet dreams and all things nice.
Things You’d Better Exclude From Any Wedding Speech
At the same time, there are things great wedding speeches avoid.
- Do not include any embarrassing information.
- Do not mention previous boyfriends or girlfriends of the newlyweds.
- Do not say rude things like ‘We thought that day would never come’.
- Do not include any crude language, there are all sorts of guests around, and what is totally appropriate in a group of friends is inappropriate at the celebration.
- Adding humor, don’t make fun of the bride or groom. This is your best friend’s wedding, do not spoil it! If in doubt – use examples above, but by no means copy them. It is only a piece of speech to boost your imagination.
Wedding Speeches can be tricky to write, but we hope that now you have everything you need to deliver a perfect speech. A couple of jokes, a sentimental story, and letting your love for the couple shine is all it takes.
Save This Helpful Information And You Will Know What & When Say!
Related post: 77 The Best Wedding Toasts For Different Types Of Guests