As a bride-to-be, an eco-friendly wedding is your best bet, if we must save the world. It will help you minimize or even eradicate waste that may occur from items used for the wedding. The earth is in danger from our activities which causes diverse pollution and low quality of life for every species.
To curb this, you must be eco-conscious during the wedding, because in truth, you’d be sacrificing nothing. Eco-friendly flowers, to dresses and eco-friendly wedding invitations, let’s show you how to be more environmentally friendly.
Eco-Friendly Wedding Invitations
The waste begins before the wedding. Paper gets littered everywhere, and the forest is also in danger. The forest shelters animals and trees purify the air. But hundreds of timber gets felled to make paper. A combination of consistently felled wood and waste paper leave the animals homeless and pollutes the earth.
Become earth-friendly by going paperless, sending snail mails, or redirecting guests to your website. You can also use eco-friendly wedding invitations by patronizing stationers who are nature-friendly below. You’ll save more, save the earth and lose nothing in design.
- Forever fiancés
This is an affordable, sustainable and artistic green brand. They make a plantable paper wedding invitation. And they also use 100% recycled paper for invites.
- Botanical paperwork
Botanical paperwork produces plantable invitation paper with seeds in them. Guests plant them and they’d grow into herbs, flowers or plants, instead of the wastebin
- Words with heart
Words with heart use green electricity, vegetable ink, and recycled paper to create amazing wedding invitations.
- The windmill paper boutique
This company uses windmill-powered printers, vegetable oil, and recycled paper to create wedding stationery.
- Smock wedding stationery
Going the way of bamboo for wedding invitations, check out Smock stationery.
Reuse Wedding Decorations
There’s no need sending a huge chunk of your budget on decorations. You can reuse wedding decorations by renting them from places such as Rental Hq and I Do. But if you buy, don’t throw them out after the wedding. Recycle, donate or reuse them. This is one of the top eco-friendly tips given by expert wedding decorators.
After the wedding, decor like lighting, signage, centerpieces, etc., will look great in your home. Everything made out of plastic, and paper can get recycled. All you need do is send them to the appropriate department in your state. And when you exhaust that option, donate the rest.
Places like Goodwill and the Salvation Army will receive your beautiful décor. Brides on a tight budget can ruse wedding decorations. They will get them at much-discounted rates or for free. It will save them cost while giving them a classy wedding. A wedding decor shop is another great option that can rent out your decor.
Other places that will love your decor are hospitals, homeless shelters, senior homes, thrift stores, and charity organizations. This is tax deductible, and you’ll go home knowing that you saved the world, and made someone happy.
Opt for recycled bride gowns and bridesmaid dresses. Whip out mommy’s old wedding dress from the closet and transform it. If that doesn’t work for you, visit consignment and vintage stores to buy a preloved gown.
You can also rent stylish gowns for your big day. This saves you cash in thousands. But if you want to make something new, buy from designers that make eco-friendly dresses. They use materials such as silk, deadstock, lace, hemp, and organic cotton.
For bridesmaids, give them your cloth specifications and let them wear what they own. They’d be glad to exert their styles. But if you want unison, then rent bridesmaid dresses. See some places to get them below.
- To-be pre-loved wedding dresses, check places like Pre-owned wedding dresses and Still White.
- For wedding dress rentals, check out Borrowing Magnolia, The Penny Hoarder, and more.
- For rental of bridesmaids’ dresses, check out places like Rent The Runway, etc.
To make eco-friendly wedding dresses, check out the following:
Green Wedding Ideas for Venue
There are lots of green wedding ideas for a venue in an eco-friendly wedding. The aim is to reduce pollution, and destruction of the earth and atmosphere. You can do this in a few ways.
- Opt for hotels that use biodegradable products or recycled energy-efficient appliances. Leaning more towards natural resources in relation to the power consumed by hotels is commendable. It will save the earth by ridding it of waste. Checkup these environmental friendly hotels to see reviews.
- Keep your wedding and reception in one place, so that guests don’t commute. This reduces the incidence of fuel emissions and subsequent air pollution.
- Hold your wedding outdoors, such as botanical gardens, farms, vineyards, rooftops. You won’t need artificial lighting, because there’d be sunlight. And then, there’s enough greenery to adorn the place, forming a perfect decor which doesn’t clash with nature. You’d also be missing nothing in sophistication and hygiene
- Some perfect examples of eco-friendly wedding venues include, but not limited to;
Environmentally Friendly Food for a Wedding
Food is the highlight of every celebration, so it’s a task. You’re torn between going all exotic but maintaining eco-conscious activities. Well, according to Chef Lynn Sheehan of Historic Sand Rock Farm, vegetarian dishes are culinary favorites of ancient cultures. So, while maintaining all the sophistication you desire, you can serve environmentally friendly food.
- Sourcing for seasonal food straight from the farm. Foods that are organic and will not need transportation or long preservation. This reduces energy usage, carbon emissions and saves cost.
- Go vegetarian and save all the animals from getting killed. Eat healthier by creating a wedding menu that promotes green earth.
- Use compostable or biodegradable dinnerware and take-home plates. They’d degrade on their own without floating to congest the waterways.
- Rather than buy drinks in cans, buy them in kegs and dispense from reusable magnums. Cans do not decompose and can ruin the soil and plants while posing dangers to animals that ingest them.
- Wines must be biodynamic, natural, and organic, down to the bottling. So invest in eco-friendly vineyards.
- Source cakes from caterers who source their dairy products locally. Decorate with natural flowers or reusable items. In a little way, you’ve saved the earth.
Flowers are a huge part of wedding decor, from venue to centerpieces and all. But in choosing flowers, you must be earth-friendly for the sake of humanity. The following are eco-friendly tips for wedding flower ideas.
- Embrace farm to table practice by ordering sustainable blooms. This is because not all flowers are organic. In most cases, they’re grown under chemically induced conditions which keep the insects away. These chemicals contaminate the flowers, ruin the organic soil matter, and harms the growers.
- Do not import flowers, rather source them locally. You’d get cut stems delivered to in a few days from farms like Bouqs Co and Fields of Blossoms. No refrigeration, no need for electricity usage.
- Seasonal flowers are another great option. Find a local florist who sources seasonal flowers. They don’t need transport, and you’d get fresh and cheap. If your choices are not in season, make sure to get veriflora certified flowers.
- You may also go for potted flowers, plants, or herbs. They will grow into a full garden after the wedding. But if you don’t need for flowers after the wedding, donate them to places like Twice Loved and Repeat Roses. They’d remake and reuse them for other events.
Nature-Friendly Party Favors
Party favors are souvenirs which the guests remember you by. Show your guests how to be green by sending a message through your favors. Below are some eco-friendly tips and shopping links to help you.
- A buffet of desserts such as homemade cakes, chocolate bars, and other organic treats. You can also buy them if you’re not the domesticated enthusiast. Guests who traveled all the way will appreciate this for a snack as they journey back. Get loads of recycled paper for them to take their fill.
- Plantable favors such as potted herbs, succulents and saplings will purify the air and adorn the home. Carrying pots of plants home us quite impossible, so get some biodegradable seed packets.
- Gift your guest’s tote bags made out of natural cotton. They are fashionable, durable, eco-friendly, and reusable.
- Organic bath salts and soaps are favors your guests will thank you for. You’re saving the earth and saving their health at the same time.
- Plantable seed paper is an item eco-conscious persons will consider. Guests will plant these papers which will blossom into gardens.
- If you want to avoid favors, pick out your favorite charities. The guests will choose, and you’ll make donations on their behalf.
Eco-Conscious Wedding Registry
An eco-conscious wedding registry is a fun one to create. But in order to be earth-friendly, you must make sure gifts are sustainable and natural. This promotes your cause of saving the environment. Let’s look at some green wedding ideas for the registry.
- Organic bedding is a dream, as it’s made from natural sources, especially cotton. Check out places like Organic Grace and Pure Living Space for some inspiration.
- Naturally sourced kitchenware, such as bamboo plates, etc. No plastics or chemicals used, which reduces the emission of toxins in the environment. Places like Eco Kitchenware and Natural home have what you need.
- You can also get your guests to donate to causes which you support. There are many organizations which take donations to preserve the forest, water, animals, etc. Bodies like The Gifted Tree and One Tree Planted take donations to plant trees around the world. This prevents forest fires, regulates the climate and preserves the ozone layer. The terrestrial and marine habitats have bodies like Soil and Water Conservation Society preserving these habitats. All these bodies need charity donations to thrive and save the earth. Guests will have fun joining a cause that makes meaning to mankind.
Make an Earth-Friendly Exit
Anything which isn’t of benefit to the earth damages it. You’ve been environmentally friendly and eco-conscious through the wedding, nail it with a grand exit. Do not litter rice paper confetti, glitters, or even birdseed. Not only do they make a mess but they also pollute the atmosphere and could cause a crisis in some when inhaled.
Again, spraying non-native seeds, and doing that indiscriminately could lead to breeding on soil that isn’t supportive. This will create more problems in the structure of the soil organic matter. So, let’s help you with a few ideas for an eco-friendly exit.
- Create a mix of native seeds (which thrives in your locality). And spray them only in designated areas. They will later grow to become beautiful plants.
- Make a mix of colorful assorted micro flowers and put them in reusable flower vessels. Guests can take a handful and spread them, as they create a beautiful path to your exit.
- Put rose petals, peonies fresh herbs, lavender, etc. in biodegradable Kraft paper bags. It will be easy for guests to access them during your exit.
- If you host your wedding in the outdoors, designate areas to guests where they should throw your organic confetti.
An eco-friendly wedding serves as a fraction of the solution to the problems probing the earth, by reducing pollution. Our earthly activities have made a huge impact on the forest, soil, sky, and water. And we need to save the earth and take it back, else organisms risk extinction. Every bride-to-be needs the wedding guide to eco-friendly nuptials we’ve compiled. From natural materials to wedding recycled items, you’d be doing your part to save humanity.