Ball gown style dresses are designed with a tight-fitting bodice and a full skirt. They are very glamorous and perfect for the bride who is envisioning a fairy-tale-style wedding. We have compiled a list of some of the most stylish ball gown bridal dresses including strapless and off-the-shoulder bridal gowns.
Feel free to pursue our gallery of ball gown wedding dresses to help you find the wedding gown you have wanted since you were a little girl!
Brides Often Ask
Long Sleeve Wedding Dresses
Unless you are getting married during the Fall or Winter, you might not be considering a long-sleeved wedding gown. However, ball gowns with long sleeves are extremely classy and dramatic. Today’s bridal gowns with long sleeves are offered in many different styles, including lace, sheer, silk, or even illusion.
Benefits of ball gown long-sleeve wedding dresses:
- Cover up tattoos, birthmarks, freckles, and such.
- Ideal for Autumn and Winter weddings.
- Best look for a bride who is going for a romantic, sophisticated look.
- A great choice for those having a religious wedding ceremony.
- Ideal for slimming or covering up upper arms for those who are very modest and/or sensitive about their body type.
Lace Ball Gown Bridal Dresses
Lace is timeless and elegant and can add so much detail to any a-line wedding dress or any other style. If you are picturing a demure, delicate and dainty wedding dress, lace is the perfect embellishment. Lace embodies both elegance and sexiness. And a ball gown-style wedding dress with a lace corset is the embodiment of grace, style, and sophistication.
Advantages of lace ball gown wedding dresses:
- Ideal for slimming and elongating the waistline
- Adds unique and exquisite details to any style wedding gown
- Perfect for classic style weddings but also adds a modern, sexy vibe for the fashion-forward bride
Princess Ball Gown Wedding Dresses
Speaking of Cinderella, a princess-style ball gown could be the ideal dress for you. If you are picturing a ball gown style dress adorned with elegant embellishments and lots of flairs, a princess dress is right up your alley. Princess ball gown wedding dresses tend to have a fuller skirt and suit more formal weddings, usually those held indoors. If you want to really have a fairytale wedding a princess-style gown is perfect! But they are not suitable for every figure. For example, might not be the ideal choice for the petite bride as she could get lost in all the extra flair.
Types of figures suited for ball gown wedding gowns:
- Hourglass Shape: If you have an hourglass shape, a ball gown with a fitted corset can highlight your shape and flatter both your bust line and waistline.
- Pear Shape: For those with a pear shape, a ball gown will both flatter and hide your larger bottom area without taking away from your bustline.
- Apple Shape: For those with a more rounded shape throughout, such as an apple figure, a ball gown can elongate your torso and flatter your waistline.
Simple Ball Gown Wedding Dresses
Ball gown wedding dresses are the quickest way to feel like a princess on your wedding day. But, don’t be fooled. There are literally millions of combinations of necklines, bodices, skits, patterns, textures, and fabrics. There is an entire universe of variables that can customize your look while still remaining well within the traditional aesthetic.
The best thing about simple ball gown wedding dresses is the simplicity. The silhouette speaks for itself with no need for elaborate patterns or the complicated application of a bunch of fabrics. In this case, less truly is more. The other most commonly celebrated plus of wearing a simple ball gown for your wedding is versatility. The silhouette is naturally complimentary to every body shape.
Bling Ball Gown Wedding Dresses
Ball gown wedding dresses can easily achieve full-blown bling status with the incorporation of a few details. The simple addition of metallic fabrics, sequins, or ornamental beading will add the visual interest and touch of sparkle needed. This glam approach to traditional style respects classic design sensibility and elevates your bridal gown from simple to sophisticated.
Brides love ball gown bling wedding dresses, among other reasons, for how easy it is to find gorgeous bridesmaids’ dresses to match. Adding bling allows brides to borrow a few design queues that will create cohesion throughout the entire bridal party. Brides also rave about how sexy and beautiful they feel in a ball gown without having to worry about coverage issues.
Ball Gown Dresses With Train
Ball gown wedding dresses with trains are perfect for a semi-formal or formal wedding. As there are many styles, sizes, and materials, you should select a train that will complement your overall bridal look without taking away any attention from the gown itself. Follow are some tips on how to choose the best train for your ball gown.
Types of train styles:
- Royal or Monarch: Monarch or royal wedding gown trains are those that extend at least a yard from the floor. These will require the assistance of the flower girl or junior bridesmaid. They are ideal for formal weddings such as those held at castle or chateau wedding venues.
- Cathedral: A cathedral wedding gown is at least 22 inches in length. This style is perfect for a formal style wedding such as a black-tie affair.
- Chapel: Chapel trains are 12-18 inches in length. They are the most popular style of bridal trains and are ideal for ballroom weddings.
- Sweep: Being six inches longer than the bridal gown, a sweep-style train is a perfect choice for a more informal wedding such as an outdoor wedding.