Wedding dress fitting can bring out the bridezilla or elegant traits in a bride to be. It is more emotional for most brides that the actual proposal. Wedding gown fittings is a decisive period which can be fun or hell. And this depends on how much you know or how prepared you are.
It is your wedding in a bit, and your venue, cake, and makeup. Etc. Must be perfect. Your wedding gown is not an exception, hence, you need to create a wedding dress fitting schedule. This is because you need a couple of the number of fittings to get a perfect size.
We hear all your questions, and the anxiousness, uncertainty, confusion, and panics that lie behind them. We’ve answered your questions from the first dress fitting, what to wear, how to buy, and to the final fitting. Find them all in the 8 wedding dress fitting tips below.
Choose A Wedding Dress That Is You
This is a top tip or advice before the main dress fitting tips.
- Your wedding dress must be one that matches your style and your personality. A perfect representation of who you are as an individual and the things you love.
- The dress must blend with the vision you’ve always had for the wedding. It’s your fairy tale day, and it must be perfect. Sticking to the theme of your wedding is also very important. You can’t have a ball affair and wear a jumpsuit ensemble. That’s a clash that makes one look awkward.
- The wedding venue is also a very important factor to consider. Pick out something appropriate to match venue. For instance, a cathedral length tail gown will not suit a wedding at the beach. Something simpler like a cocktail dress or a mermaid dress will do.
- The last is the accessories to compliment the gown. From the color of the veil to shoes, neckpieces, bracelets, earrings, and even the bouquet.
Everything must blend in to make a perfect fit. The beauty of your day begins to take shape from the type of wedding dress you pick out. Pick out one that will make you happy, and your day as glorious as your love.
The Necessities For Dress Fitting
There’s a subtle list of what to bring to a wedding dress fitting. And these you must buy before your first visit.
- For wedding dress fitting, you’ll need a trunk of every undergarment scheduled for the wedding. From your slips to bras, panties with invisible lines, and all that. Anything to the contrary will make the dress sit awkwardly on you.
- Your chosen shoes must also come with you because they play a very important role. You could end up with a shorter hem if the shoes are lower than your wedding shoes. And if you wear something higher than your wedding shoes, best believe your gown will have longer hems.
- Next, are pieces of jewelry to match, the expert must see how everything sits in their rightful place.
- Your headpiece is also vital as they are very essential parts of the dress. Whether you choose a veil or head wrap, everything must find their place and compliment the gown. What to wear to a bridal fitting isn’t much as you can see. Only the bare necessities to ensure everything is perfect.
When Is The Right Time To Start
A bride to be will need about two to four fittings before the wedding day. Now that you know how many wedding fittings dress you need.
- The right time to start going for fitting sessions is about twelve to six weeks before the wedding. This is due to the number of things which the artisan fitter needs to do. And this artisan will be with you up until your wedding day. I’ll discuss that in a bit.
- You’ll also be on the safe side in case you happen to lose or gain weight. The stress of wedding preparation can take its toll on the body. Couple it with anxiety, overexcitement, sleep deprivation or wedding jitters. All these have their stakes on body weight. But for a bride, it’s no excuse, as your dress must fit. So, if you lose weight, you have time on your side to get perfect pinning and tucking done. And if you gain weight that you want to keep, there’s time to lose the seams and remake. If it’s not enough, you have the period of ordering exact material to add. And have your artisan sculpt to perfection.
This is another one of wedding dress fitting tips we can’t overlook. Before we dive in, let me drop a quick one. When you go dress shopping, you’re overwhelmed with choices. You almost want to buy everything. You see that one that takes your breath away and you want it. But it’s five sizes bigger, you want to change the hands, or switch it from mermaid to ball.
- Truth is, no matter how you love a wedding dress, be smart. If you’ll have to alter it so much, then don’t take it. This is because not all dresses survive a heavy alteration. It kills the essence and vibe of the dress.
- That said, work with only a bridal gown specialist. They must understand bridal fabrics and textures. They must be very conversant with designers and can spot a brand at first look. They must also know the hacks, seams, and closures of wedding dresses. This helps them do a neat job, and no one would know they were there.
- Last, of all, be well informed! As questions that are relevant. It helps you know the persons level of expertise, and what they’d be doing to your gown. This is very important.
What Happens At First Fittings
The complexity of the dress and the number of alterations it needs determines a lot. The most important of them being the number of fittings to attend, and the cost for the job done.
What to bring to a wedding dress fitting for the first time are your shoes and undergarments. This is the most important of them all. Then the specialist will open an alteration worksheet for you, and take measurements. The next thing is to get into your wedding gown for viewing.
The experts will spot all the adjustments needed and discuss it with you. When you’ve come to an agreement, then it’s your turn. You’ll say everything extra you need for your gown to pop. Customization of straps, bodice or anything else. Remaking the neck or waistline. Anything you want, that’s your time to say. And then, the work begins from there.
Why You Must Attend Fittings
It is very difficult to find the perfect size for wedding dress anywhere. So wedding dress fitting is a necessary evil if we must say. Every designer has a size chart they work with when making dresses. And these charts vary so much from the next designer. So, when you go to purchase your dress, the boutiques work with these charts. They give you a dress closest to your size on the charts.
Again, the hem lengths according to the industry standard are longer than the average bride height. This is deliberate for the sake of sampling purposes. So that every bride can get a dress they love without height being a spoiler.
This makes almost every gown go through hem alterations. The same goes for busts and hips if one must enjoy perfection. Hence, fittings are necessities.
Realities Of Fittings
There is a panic that comes with not having a perfect dress by the second fitting. A lot of brides to be will go haywire. Their wedding is about to get ruined, and the patient ones will take it with grace. We will advise that there’s nothing to panic about.
This is because you must be confident in the artisans working on your dress. Understand that yours isn’t the first dress they are working on. And that they have the experience to their credit.
Another factor is the time it takes and the number of fittings to alter a wedding dress. Brides to be are always in shock at the length of time. Know that this isn’t a prom dress. You’ll wear it on one of the most important days of your life. So give it time.
Again, put into consideration the pricing and prepare for it. It will cost you $500 and above to have a wedding dress reworked by an expert. Don’t go cheap, else they’d do a cheap job.
All About Timing
First of all, to find your perfect dress, you must begin your hunt about a year before the wedding. By seven months to the wedding, you should buy your wedding dress. This gives you time to buy all other matching accessories.
Then start the wedding gown fitting twelve weeks or at least six weeks before the wedding. It will take you two to four fittings to get the perfect dress.
Some get it at the second fitting. The first fitting is always the longest spanning between one to two hours. It goes down from there as the dress nears perfection. Hence, a wedding dress fitting schedule is important.
Your dress must be ready a week to your wedding. And an artisan will give the final touches before you walk down the aisle.
Wedding dress fitting for some brides is a time of panic. And for others, it’s a time of fun and joy. Whichever way it turns out to be, depends on how well prepared you are. You must understand the best time to get your dress and start your first fitting. You must also know why fitting is necessary, and what to expect during fitting. All these tips feed you with physical and mental preparations for this part of the journey. And on tour wedding day, you’d be the perfect bride.