Your engagement ring is something beautiful, a representation of the love you and your partner feel for each other. Taking care of your engagement ring isn’t terribly difficult and is possible to do without leaving home by using simple and familiar methods.
But if you’re not sure what you need to do, follow our best tips on loving and caring for it. After all, your engagement ring should last forever, just like your marriage!
Hints On How To Care For Engagement Ring
Your engagement ring is special because it’s yours! Love it and don’t worry about whether it’s as nice as the one someone else has. No doubt, your ring is beautiful, but it still needs proper care.
Thus, to make your engagement ring look flawless, we recommend you treat it as follows:
- When cleaning up your home or performing any other domestic chores, wear special gloves – this will protect your band from direct contact with household chemicals.
- Keep the ring away from different solvents (including nail polish removal).
- Try to ensure your precious things are not affected by UV light or heat.
Diamond Engagement Ring Care Instructions
If you want your diamond ring to look absolutely beautiful, just like a brand-new one from a jewelry house, follow our hints on how to achieve this:
- In fact, diamonds are sensitive to oils that are naturally present in our hands. Thus, put on gloves when cleaning a diamond ring.
- Use only warm water, it must not be very hot though as the stone is negatively affected by hot temperature. For that same reason, you don’t dry a diamond jewel with a blowdryer.
- To clean your jewels with diamonds fast and properly, it’s recommended to use a solvent of alcohol and water 3:1. Pour this solvent into a container and put the gem into it for 30-45 sec. Then, carefully get it out there and wipe it dry with cotton or a sponge. To add even more shiny sparkles, polish the stone with velvet fabric.
Treating Yourself While Wedding Planning
So many things have changed in wedding planning over the last decade. While Pinterest (Follow us on Pinterest) has been helping brides with wedding inspiration, wedding planning got even more stressful with many woes that did not exist 20 years ago.
You are engaged in the age of all the best bridal swag. Brides often forget to enjoy their engagement due to wedding stress and forget to treat themselves while trying to make everyone else happy.
Many Bridal Subscription Boxes have emerged that treat brides with monthly wedding-themed goodies. These boxes are not only a fun surprise every month, but they also contain many items that will be useful during your wedding planning, and possibly you may not have thought of yet.
Likely the best such subscription is Miss To Mrs Bridal Subscription Box. Not only each monthly box has its own theme, but most of their items are far superior in quality because they are designed and made just for Miss To Mrs. Their previous boxes included such awesome items like a floral kimono robe for the wedding day morning, vow books, “Just Married” car decal, full garter set, bridal hairpieces, diamond wipes and many more fun & useful items you can use during and after wedding planning.
Clean It Carefully
Cleaning your engagement ring the right way will greatly increase its life. Using the wrong solutions and abrasive or harsh chemicals can damage both the stone and the gold, so make sure you’re not using anything but a little warm water, a tiny amount of toothpaste (not gel; basic toothpaste), and a toothbrush to remove grime and oils on a weekly basis. Regular toothpaste cleans your stone and gold without scratching or causing a tarnish. It also doesn’t leave soap scum behind as regular bar soap does. Your jeweler should offer free cleanings, as well. If you find that your ring looks a little dull, take it to the jeweler for a professional cleaning.
Never use these cleaning means to clean the golden rings with diamonds!
- Washing powder, soap, or any other basic household chemicals. They will tarnish the gold and make the diamond white.
- Backing soda. While perfectly cleaning silver gems, it removes all the sparkles from gold though.
- Iodine. This solution can fundamentally change the color of gold, and you will need a professional jeweler to fix it.
- Bleaching powder. This chemical makes the ring lose its golden color and brilliance.
- Hyperperoxide, vinegar, or manganese crystals. All these means will tarnish the diamond and oxidize the yellow metal.
Resizing Is Important
Your engagement ring can easily slip off of your finger if it’s too large, so having it sized correctly is very important. Correct sizing gives you the security of knowing that your ring won’t just slip off your finger at some random point during the day. A correctly sized ring is also more comfortable than one that is slightly too large or too small.
To know for sure what size perfectly fits you, measure your finger’s circumference with a thread, then put it on a ruler to see its actual length. By dividing this number by 3,15 and you will get the size of your finger.
Be Gentle With Your Ring
Diamonds are meant to be forever, but you have to take good care of them. If you are performing some task where you are likely to knock it against something, take it off and put it in a safe place, instead. This is also important if you are cleaning with harsh cleansers. You might also want to remove it if your job requires you to use your hands a lot.
However, take your gem to a jeweler for a professional examination. Of course, it’s easy to take care of precious stones at home, but they also should receive some professional care. The jeweler will examine your rings and say if the stones or metal have some defects that can damage the stone and the jewel itself. Even being invisible to you, they can still be damaging your jewelry.